Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A note from Saturday's Opening.

At the opening the other night, I received the following comment about my work.

"I'm completely pedestrian when it comes to this stuff, and I don't know a thing about art, but I just love the color in your pieces. And then I spend all kinds of time trying to figure out which logos these letters belong to."

I told her she was doing it right. She was! I got similar responses from people throughout the night: the color, the logos, possible word games, memories.

There is little point to over-thinking a work of art, meaning: you shouldn't have to spend a lot of time looking at it and thinking, "what the hell is this about?" Granted, sometimes it is important to think about context, place, current events, etc. But, if the work is doing its job right, it'll give you things to think about - things to look for.

A few years back, a show in Alexandria, featuring Four Letter Words did the same thing. People started looking at blocks of words, they found words of interest, they recalled what the homonyms and homophones meant, and then they looked for relationships between words. Art should be fun, from time-to-time.

No comments: