Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'm Frozen in Middle English

The last time I designed anything in Flash the US was more than a year away from invading Iraq. Ahhh... those were the days! Flash 5.5.

Trying to design a web page in Action Script 3.0 (after being away from the program, for the purpose of web design, for the better part of the decade) is about is pleasant as drawing a heavy line from wrist to elbow with a dull razor. There is no question something is going to sink in, but the result is going to be mostly painful and eventually drain the life blood from you.

The analogies for Actionscript 3.0 (on line and in books) is strange. Yes. I get that this coding involves logic. And that I get to name things (like text blocks, or movies). However giving me an analogy about Bob and Tom and how Bob has black hair and Tom has brown hair does not help me program a button in frame 1 to goto and stop in frame 2 onMouseClick.

I have been, as the gamers call it, pwn'd.

No comments: