Monday, June 09, 2008

Assassinating Another Art (Media) Whore

ArtsJournal pinged a June 6th Washington Post article on Yazmany Arboleda, who recently had some brew-ha-ha with the NYPD and Secret Service over the titles of his recent "Assassination" exhibitions (featuring Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama), which is an effort to assassinate character through sexist and racist stereotypes. I'd thought to comment on it, but since my last rant was regarding the "abortion" of art at Yale, I don't think it is necessary to dedicate a bunch of key strokes to bemoaning a guy in NYC who claims he wants to "raise a dialog" by making an exhibition of a couple dick jokes. I link to the "exhibitions" simply because everyone likes a train wreck. The WaPo article is also a great essay on how to get free publicity.

Instead, I turn my attention to our wonderful planet earth. BoingBoing.net pinged a snapshot of the planet and moon from Mars via NASA. Better still is this image of the earth-rise from the moon. A few weeks back I was doing a preliminary interview with a second visually impaired student at AU. He was sighted until the age of seven and stated that the only thing that saddens him about being blind is missing the ecstasy of looking at art.

Ecstasy.

Seldom do I hear or read anyone discussing art with that term: a word so simply structured and yet a state of being so difficult to achieve. I find no ecstasy in the "art" of Arboleda.
I doubt anyone does. Nor would anyone be capable of having a serious dialog about the work or comprehensive dialog about the real issues (which is missing from his exhibition).

I do find ecstasy from seeing the earth captured 88 million miles away. From that perspective, $4/gal gasoline also seems insignificant.

No comments: